[Technical] Request for Budget submission feedback

Alan Oh OH.A at wcc.vic.edu.au
Wed Oct 22 07:46:01 EST 2008

A priceless $0.02 nevertheless.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: tech-bounces at edulists.com.au [mailto:tech-bounces at edulists.com.au]
On Behalf Of Jason Clarke
Sent: Wednesday, 22 October 2008 7:18 AM
To: Technical Discussion in Schools Mailing List
Subject: RE: [Technical] Request for Budget submission feedback

Hi Kevork,

Work out what is critical for continued operations. This goes in the
budget.

Work out what required for continued operations (life cycles of servers,
switches, software. Ongoing maintenance). This goes in the budget.

Work out what is happening in the next 12 months to 3 years with regards
to teacher and student activities. This goes in the budget.

There is no magic formula.

I expect our new 11TB SAN to last 18 months based on previous growth..
when I bought it. However, through consultation with the school
community, it looks like it's going to get full much much sooner than
that. Possibly inside of the next 9 months.

Consult with the school community (mainly staff), work out how you're
going to support them then make some educated guesses on those costs.
Then when you submit your budget, outline how each portion of your
request ties back into real world classroom requirements.

Thats my $0.02 :-)

Regards,

Jason Clarke
Network Manager