[Technical] Online attendance software

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 23:32:53 EST 2007

Made sense to bolt our attendance system onto our timetable system. We have
one database with three points of data entry including a PDA system that
does the rounds to all rooms with a duty student, a web based interface used
by the school switchboard and first aid attendant, and client software used
by the time tabler / daily organizer / enrollment registrar / year level
coordinators. We get good training support, prompt responses to telephone
enquiries, regular bug fix releases, a good ear towards feature requests
such as SMS. There are other whistles and bells, depending on the system
that you finally end up with. Surprisingly, we have had some interesting
success using a less documented feature of the the FirstClass SMS alert
system to send e-mail alerts to students who are absent from class without
reason.

As Kevork correctly notes, the biggest hurdle wasnt software, it is changing
the mindset and operational proceedures of the school. How this is best done
is hard to spell out as each school will have its own cultural and rules for
doing things. Running a database like this requires increased rigor so that
scheduled absences should be entered in advance, preferably by a teacher
aide each morning during period 0 and running a late pass system. We also
now ask that parents / older students phone in or leave a message to report
an absence in advance that is promptly entered into the system (same as when
teachers call in reporting an illness or absence). When I mark the roll on
the PDA, I often only have to count and compare the numbers in my room with
that listed on the PDA.The student doing music, the student doing a VET
course, the student who called in sick and the student in the first aid room
are all listed thus on the PDA. The unexplained missing wh did not pick up a
late pass are probably truant, something we let the year level coordinators
sort out.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au