[Technical] Sonasoft?

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Fri Aug 4 16:24:52 EST 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 01:42:17PM +1000, Clark, Ian C wrote:

> [...]

No, as a coder who started on CP/M, I know the concept of enforced file
locks for general purpose apps. What _I'm_ asking is why are they still
necessary in 2006?

Linux shows that you can have a functional OS without needed to enforce
'genuine' file locking. Another Windows Genuine Advantage, no doubt?
;-)

> File locks are genuine in Windows, not advisory as in Unix ... a bit
> like voluntary traffic lights at an intersection!

And they are needed for what reason?

> If you don't believe this odd behavior of Unix, it's mentioned at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_locking
>
> Note that your competitors such as BackupExec can back up open files, as
> can the free, inbuilt Windoze backup utility, NTbackup.

Then why isn't this used to backup SQL Server and Exhange by more
businesses?

> > and you don't need special 'shims' to work around backup issues with
> > Microsoft's SQL Server and Exchange.
>
> And Oracle, and DB2, and GroupWise, and Notes, and ... you get the
> picture ... no point demonizing Micro$oft for *their* enterprise
> database or collaboration system ...

And yet, these aren't needed for MySQL, PostreSQL etc. You get the
picture ;-)

Sure, it's not advisable to do file backups on an active, in-transaction
server, but that's another story.

> > By comparisons, our costings research for software which will allow
> you
> > to perform backups on SQL Server and Exchange shows that you need $5k
> > for that software per server alone.
>
> What costings research?

This costings research:

 http://www.ht.com.au/detail.hts?keyword=symantec+backup+exec+windows&part=T3360
 http://www.ht.com.au/detail.hts?keyword=exchange+backup&part=S9964
 http://www.ht.com.au/detail.hts?keyword=exchange+backup&part=T2577
 http://www.ht.com.au/detail.hts?keyword=sql+server+backup&part=T5243

To buy one of these products to backup your Exchange and SQL Server
you're looking at nearly $8,000 per server.

> It's free.

Perhaps, NTbackup is free.

But add the costs of 3 * server hardware, 3 * Win2k3 server licences, 3
* CALs & 3 *installation and you get the picture. For 25 users, that's $30k.

Do the costings and get back to me if you can get a cheaper quote ;-)

> SQL Server comes with its own backup facility, Exchange adds an agent to
> NTbackup.

OK. Then why do most businesses need to buy $5k Exchange and SQL Server
backup software, if NTbackup works?