[Technical] Rescuing a School Technology Program

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Wed Sep 21 13:04:48 EST 2005

This might be of interest to some schools.

http://reallylinux.com/docs/ltsp-oped.shtml

Like many schools, Grace Lutheran School struggled to keep up with the
cost of computer technology. With 250 students and an annual technology
budget of $15,000, Principal Dennis Fangmann had to be creative to keep
his 60 classroom Pentium I and Pentium II computers running. Most of his
budget was being used instead to keep the 16 staff computers and Windows
network server current, leaving little for student computer upgrades.

What Mr. Fangmann didn't realize yet was that many of the student
computers weren't even running well enough for the students to use. As he
has since said: "The teachers didn't want to tell me, but as you can
imagine, the Pentium I computers running Windows 95 were seen as dinosaurs
by our older students."

The solution was to convert those systems into Linux Thin-clients.
Converting those 60 Pentium I and Pentium II computers for 250 students
was relatively painless. Today the students benefit from having faster
performance and the many pre-loaded OpenSource educational programs
available for free.