[Technical] DeepFreeze Vs HDGuard

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Nov 24 10:54:42 EST 2005

Deciding between products is what we do as network administrators, and
it's up to Chris to work out what suits his school best ... if the free
download doesn't do what he wants, it's useless to him ... that's not
trying to hurt the feelings of the Micro$oft programmers who made this
offering, it's just life ...

> How do these tools work? Do they store themselves on a small
> partition and kick-in at boot time? How do you prevent them
> from get mucked up, along with everything else on a Windows PC?

The usual implementation is a file driver, Con. The writes (such as the
command "format c:" are actually occurring to a transaction log on a
hidden partition on the computer, which is then wiped out when the
reboot happens.

In the past I've used a product called PC Lockout to allow Win95
computers to be used and abused, then put back to normal for the next
class, and also a hardware PCI card that did pretty much the same thing.

Cheers,
Clarky

Important -