[Technical] Software Carpentry notes on-line

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Mon Jul 11 10:56:46 EST 2005

For those who want to push the knowledge envelope for their students...

Cheers,

Con Zymaris, Convenor
Open Source Victoria
http://www.osv.org.au/

----- Forwarded message from Greg Wilson <gvwilson at cs.utoronto.ca> -----
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:23:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Greg Wilson <gvwilson at cs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: alpha version of Software Carpentry notes on-line

Hello everyone,

Earlier this year, the Python Software Foundation awarded me a grant to
create an open source course on basic software engineering skills for
scientists and engineers.  A preliminary version of the lecture notes for
the course are now on-line at http://www.third-bit.com/swc. If you have
the time, I'd be grateful for your input --- you can use the comment links
embedded in the slides to email me feedback on any and every aspect, from
content and depth to layout, typos, and so on [1].

I'll be teaching from these notes this fall at the University of Toronto;
instructors at two other schools are planning to use them as well, and
more would be welcome.  If you'd be interested, or have colleagues who
might be, please let me know if there are any other topics or issues you
would like to see covered.

Finally, please note that these notes are just an alpha; I'd rather the
link to them wasn't circulated too widely until I've had a chance to fix
the worst of the glitches I'm sure you'll spot.

Thanks very much for your help,
Greg Wilson

[1] Yes, I know, the diagrams are all missing...  I'd rather have teeth
    pulled than draw 81 diagrams... ;-)

----- End forwarded message -----