[Systems Engineering Teachers' Mailing List] Optimising STEM Industry-School Partnerships - Final Report.pdf

Systems Engineering Teacher systems-eng-teacher at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 09:59:18 EDT 2018

Good evening Lorraine,
Thank you for posting the report. I did hear about it early this year while it was a work in progress.

My interest in the acronym STEM came about in 2014 when Professor Ian Chubb ( Australia’s Chief Scientist at that time) presented his views on STEM.

His views resonated with me on many levels. At that point of time in my teaching career I moved away from traditional education into innovative teaching and learning.

It started with being part of a social enterprise that engaged students in a different approach to learning that incorporated the expertise from outside schools and education.

After a short period of time I moved towards STEM education on my own. Working in a number of schools, primary year3 to year6, secondary year7 to year10 students including young teachers. (I was given the title of STEM Educator).

I have had many conversations on the notion of STEM Education in recent years from all sorts of sectors in and out of education, resulting in no clear one definition of STEM Education in Australia.

My recent work with students and young teachers has provided them with an understanding on how all of the disciplines in the acronym STEM work together for a final outcome.

The groups of students are totally engaged and consist of no less than 50% girls - 50% boys, ranging up to 100% girls in each group. There has been comments made that what has been presented to the students (even at year3 and they understand it ) is also presented to University students.

After giving the report a quick read, it would be great to see how it could be implemented. Hopefully there maybe some room for innovative teaching and learning.

Best Regards
George Spiridis

Sent from my iPad