[Systems Engineering Teachers' Mailing List] FW: FW: Safety Queries

Neville YOUNG NYO at gwsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Apr 27 19:25:28 AEST 2017

Hi Everyone,

It is my understanding that teachers and students are allowed to work on and wire projects that operate on voltages less than 50 volts AC or DC. So your students can wire up and control the low voltage side of the plugpack.

It is also my understanding from working with the original working group of teachers under the auspices of the Electrical and Electronics Practices Association. We investigated the problem of students making projects that involved the wiring of 240 volts in the mid 1980's. We were instructed by the SEC that only licensed electricians and the apprentices under an electrician's supervision are legally able to wire up any device directly connected to 240 volts.

I have seen projects that are connected to 240 volts at Top Designs. When I inquired how this was possible I was told that the projects were wired up by a licensed electrician.

During the time the Association was investigating this matter the subject of having an electrician wire projects was raised (most of the teachers in Technical Schools already had this qualification) it was found that although this could legally be done, the user then had to obtain a compliance certificate before it could be used. This entailed submitting the project to the then SEC, along with all the relevant information and plans and the payment of around $1,000 to cover the cost of testing.

Whether this remains as it did in the 1980's I don't really know but I have always assumed that it does.

This question raises a number of other directives that have been put to teachers about their student's projects.

We were forbidden from using MDF due to health problems associated with dust from the material. I haven't seen anything rescinding this ruling, but in a recent conversation with the State Examiner he was of the opinion that the composition of MDF has changed in recent years and that it was suitable for students to use. This may be true but I haven't heard anything through DATTA or VCAA that it is now a permitted material.

Some years ago Lorraine Tran sent out a directive banning the construction of any type of powered vehicle (whether petrol or electric) that could be used to transport someone. At the time I had a student who wanted to make a motorised wheelchair for a relative but it wasn't allowed. I believe this was a Departmental directive as a result of being sued by a parent.

I haven't heard anything rescinding this directive since then. However, at the recent top design forum for Systems Engineering at the Melbourne Museum a motorised vehicle was used as an example of a potential project.

If you have been in the system for as long as I have then you see a lot of directives that have been sent out. Every time there is a change of personnel at VCAA all this information seems to be lost. These directives about student projects don't seem to be recorded anywhere. There is nothing that I have been able to find on the VCAA or DATTA websites about directives given to teachers over the years.

New people come in with new ideas about what is OK and what isn't OK, but these changes aren't recorded anywhere so how are newer teachers supposed to know what is allowed and what isn't.

I really find it ridiculous that teachers should have to use the mailing list to find out about what is or isn't allowed. This sort of information should be readily available to all technology teachers somewhere on the Department's website.

I also wonder where we stand as teachers when a vehicle one of our students made is involved in an accident and their parents blame us, the teacher for poor supervision of their child's work or if a student suffers a fatal shock from a non compliant project involving the wiring of 240 volts.

Where do we stand. Ignorance of the law isn't a very good defence.

Regards
Neville Young