[Systems Engineering Teachers' Mailing List] Power regulations

Neville YOUNG NYO at gwsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Feb 10 18:49:06 AEDT 2016

Hi Mark,
It's my understanding that a couple of years ago all teachers were informed that scooters and go karts were forbidden as the department was worried that students could be injured and then sue the department. In fact the statement said something along the line of any motorised project used to transport a person was prohibited.

Last year I inquired for a student about making a Segway type vehicle, but was told that because they were not legal to use on footpaths and roads in Victoria the student was not allowed to make one.

I was then very surprised to see a motorised vehicle at Top Designs a month or so later.

It would be a great help to us all if VCAB were to put in a description  of types of projects that are not allowed along with a description of the regulations regarding voltages and mains wiring for projects in their Support Materials for Systems Engineering as these type of questions regularly occur over the life of a study design.

Regards
Neville Young