[Systems Engineering Teachers' Mailing List] Fwd: [esnet] UP! Printers and removal of print lines - another realSTEM activity

Neville YOUNG NYO at gwsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Jun 13 10:27:40 EST 2014

Hi Everyone,
As the schools Health and Safety Rep I discussed this with our Lab Technician and these are his suggestions.

If the process was simply carried out on a bench in a classroom, yes, I would have HUGE problems with it.

If you carried out a complete risk assessment, my quick response would be that if the procedure was carried out in an operating fume cupboard with the doors closed, there shouldn't be an issue. Preferably with a semi-remotely operated process - turning on the acetone bath only after the fume cupboard was operating, and turning it off and waiting for the temperature to drop below the DG class temperature threshold before retrieving the work. It would have to be closely monitored during the process to make sure that the acetone didn't evaporate completely away.

This process would require both a documented risk assessment and a safe work procedure to be written.

With some simple risk minimisation I think it could be carried out safely.

Neville Young