[Year 12 SofDev] Applied computing 2022

Roland Gesthuizen Roland.Gesthuizen at education.vic.gov.au
Thu Nov 18 04:19:31 UTC 2021

Speaking as a parent, from what I have seen of the Aquinas marketing, it’s done well with brochures and a stand at career nights. The college also does a very fine job of grounding digitech in the junior year levels instead of watering the subject down into something less.

We did something similar a decade ago at Keysborough College, building up from a composite year 11/12 computing class to a dedicated cross campus AC and DA pathway but from memory, it was helped along with some targeted year 9 and 10 electives that captured student imagination and interest with games, robotics etc and a supportive careers advisor and leadership keen to recruit more girls into STEM subjects.

Adrian Jansen shared some perceptive thoughts about these trends when he spoke to preservice teachers at Monash Uni last year. Something similar is happening in other states, I must look up the numbers again from ACCE colleagues.

Say Kevork, thanks for tossing in your thoughts. It’s easy to miss the value of the VET IT pathway and your fantastic work engaging our youth.

Regards Roland