[Year 12 SofDev] An open letter re: the Software Development exam

Andrew Shortell shortell at get2me.net
Thu Jan 30 09:07:10 UTC 2020

Hi All
Speaking only on my own behalf - it is hard to write an exam that will please all!
For 2019 I wrote the QAT sof dev practice exam. It  was hard work.

This year 2020 I actually have a sof dev class - I am very excited. So, yes, I want a harder exam so I can get my motivated students to shine.

Scaling is about the reality that a lot of students take this subject and don’t work very well (if at all) and so there are many students with lowish results. Then because the median has to be 30 (that wonderful Bell Curve) they achieve apparently inflated results. Then scaling bites.

I work to value add to get them into the top half of the cohort. If they work then they achieve that (in general).

An exam with a significant number of more difficult questions that require a higher order response indicative of a thorough knowledge of the material in the study and which are then graded looking for that display of careful thought is what I want to see.

VCAA appoint exam writers - VCAA does not write the exam. VCAA appoint reviewers, vetters, sitter vetters, proof readers all of whom are tasked with using professional judgement. They are rightly protected (very carefully) by VCAA.

The pay for all of these tasks is not exciting. No-one does it for the money.  It is for a glory that they are not even allowed to brag about - there are no medals.

Writing exams for an outside organisation only pays better because it is not split four ways and neither is the workload. I know Adrian has written practice papers - I have used them in the past.

YOU (the people that actually read the lists) should think about what the “quiet response” to Adrian’s open letter appears to indicate - that there are only two people who were not excited by 2019 paper.

If you want to applaud my attitude - please do so off list shortell at get2me.net <mailto:shortell at get2me.net> and if you feel I need to be berated about my wrong attitude do so on list so we achieve a feel for how popular this attitude isn’t!

The 2020 exam should be nearly finished by now but not yet set in concrete - there is still time to raise your voices.

Andrew Shortell

At Sunbury College for 2020 (and part time :-)