[Year 12 SofDev] An open letter re: the Software Development exam

Adrian Janson janson.adrian.a at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 06:04:48 UTC 2020

Coming into a new study design and seeing the call for exam writers, it
would be the perfect time to reflect on this study as a whole.

Last year, I had a strong Software Development class. Having taught
Software Development since its inception (and no – don’t ask me how long it
has been), I feel I have a pretty good handle on class ability. I’ve
certainly had stronger classes, but I don’t think I have had a class of
such even ability across the board. My best student had potential to get a
50 (as indeed probably the top 3 did) and my bottom student had strong 40
potential. Obviously this wasn’t my expectation, but it’s a useful
measuring stick.

I’m not talking up my own ability, but I was very pleased with the year. We
covered off everything in good order and (at times) in depth. Our exam
preparation consisted of over 20 exam papers – and many I marked and gave
personal feedback on. Like we all do – I left nothing on the table. And
then came the exam….

As I said to my class in the revision sessions I ran, an easy exam would
not be their friend. Sadly this was the case. My class went into the exam
and I did the exam in time for them to come out. They were over the moon
excited as they all felt they had aced it. I knew the reality – and that
was that the exam was way too easy and that it would ultimately penalise
those students across the state who had put the work in and reward those
who had barely done anything.

I’ve always been an advocate for this subject – it’s my favourite subject
to teach and the one that I find the most engaging. The SAT is terrific!!
But an exam of this poor quality does nothing to raise the status of this
subject. Actually – I think it actively damages it.

My students spent a large amount of time on code / algorithms. This was not
out of proportion either – the AOS are filled with algorithms and coding
content. That is the emphasis of the subject and the argument that some
used to remove elements. Networking was removed – “it’s not software
development”. The OSI model was removed – “it’s not software development”.
Well that is fine – if the emphasis is on software development, the exam
needs to reflect this. Rigour in the exam rewards those students that have
a deep understanding of the study. The exam had barely any algorithm
questions and those that were included were (seriously) of the standard
that I would be teaching in Year 7 DigiTech. An exam such as this does
damage in that future students don’t see the value in doing the subject. We
are already fighting scaling – and we all know that parents and students
ask us about this (it is often their first question).

The new Software Development study design looks good. There are things that
we would all change, but it will continue to be an enjoyable subject to
teach. But we must have an exam that is challenging and rigorous –
otherwise, why have an exam at all?

I know others feel this way. Listen – as a teacher, you just want your
students to have a fair shot and be rewarded for their efforts. The 2019
exam didn’t do this.

Kind regards,

Adrian