[Year 12 SofDev] Students struggling with SAT ideas

Chris Bucknell Chris.Bucknell at haileybury.vic.edu.au
Tue Apr 28 01:38:53 UTC 2020

Hi Scott,

Here is some of the information I have used in the past for starting of the SAT.  This is a conglomerate of many peoples work from this list over the years (so acknowledgements to all that have contributed to previous discussion about SAT projects).

What is the SAT (School Assessed Task):

The SAT is the Major Assessment Task for the year in which you will develop a Software Solution that will solve a need or opportunity that you have identified.  This task will be worked on during Unit 3 and Unit 4 and contributes 30 per cent to the study score for Software Development.

The complexity of your software solution:

Your software solution will need to include the following items:
·        Data:
o entry,
o storage (in files or a database),
o retrieval,
o validation,
·        searching and sorting or a Complex Algorithm (Physics Engine, AI, …?)
·        Security of the solution, security of the data/information:
o File Access,
o Backup
o Authentication (logins)

Developing your SAT proposal:

SAT requires you to identify a need or opportunity that can be solved as a software solution. You may reach out to relatives, other teachers, local businesses or community groups to determine the need or opportunity. Doing this provides you with a client from whom to seek feedback and clarification throughout the process.

You need to find a REAL need or opportunity that you will then address by developing a software solution.

You will need to develop a "Design Brief" which you will present to your teacher for consideration.

If your proposal is accepted by your teacher you will work through the Problem Solving Methodology to:
·        Produce a project plan to manage your SAT,
·        Complete an analysis that defines the requirements, constraints and scope of a solution in the form of a software requirements specification,
·        Design a folio of alternative design ideas and detailed design specifications of the preferred design,
·        Develop a software solution that meets the software requirements specification,
·        Evaluate your software solution and the process you went through to produce it.

During the SAT you will work through the tasks of:
1.      Identification of need or opportunity
2.      Preparation of project plan
3.      Identify a development model
4.      Data collection
5.      Development of software requirements specification (SRS)
6.      Developing a folio of alternative solutions designs
7.      Progressive development of software solution, using a selected development model,
8.      Preparation and conduct of useability test
9.      Evaluation of:
1.      the software solution,
2.      the selected development model
3.      The effectiveness of the project plan.

Some SAT ideas

In case you need some extra suggestions, here are ideas we (staff and students or from PD days) have come up with so far:
·        A mother who runs a café and shoves all her receipts into a drawer and then has to process them all for her BAS
·        A roster for navy cadets
·        A mother who runs Family Day Care and needs to track the hours and charge for each child
·        Basketball competition stats recorder – to output a ladder in a format to be uploaded into the website
·        Music collection (yours or a friend's)
·        Friendship circle
·        Something to help Student Council organise events
·        Small business customers or sales
·        Personal/Family Inventory e.g. hobbies, clothing (even theatre costumes), household possessions (eg for insurance), family share portfolio, heirlooms (items that have belonged to ancestors)
·        Business Inventory (plant nursery, used car yard, craft supplies)
·        Farm machinery maintenance (or School’s computer hardware…)
·        Sports teams or athletes (your own, the school teams, etc)
·        Golf handicap system
·        Address book for family or friends
·        Crop planting records
·        Budgie breeding (or any other animal)

Some More SAT ideas

Some of these are ideas, while others are existing products already. Some may be achievable while others are too large to develop within the timeframe. Use these ideas to kickstart your imagination and idea search.
·        Fire ready app<http://www.firereadyfaq.emergency.vic.gov.au/> (Victoria), which maps & lists nearby fires, trucks attending, status. Draws in Google map data, and accesses a database of fire situations in real-time. (This is an existing example)
·        Women-only taxi service booking site eg abc news article<http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-19/demand-for-women-only-motorcycle-taxis-soars-in-jakarta/7099156>   (This is an existing example)
·        Palm oil app link<http://www.palmoilinvestigationsapp.com/> Identify products which are made with palm oil. (existing example)
·        Price comparison app. Scan and compare prices, or compare gas/elect/water services.
Accesses a database, with search function based on your selected features. (an existing example)
·        Barcode → nutritional info of products. Requires scanning ability, access database. (an existing example)
·        Landscaping app (for outdoor gardeners, painters, builders) that pulls weather data from the BOM Bureau of Meterology’s RSS feed into a calendar, to aid decision about which days to schedule outdoor work.
·        Organisational needs in school, students/teachers/admin. Eg. Homework scheduling, meetings...
·        Track driving hours for P platers - start/stop times, map, weather.
·        Sports club (events, reminders, fees, score tables etc).
·        Plant nursery app - enter type of plant, is it best in sun/shade/both… other care instructions etc to help people new to gardening to get the best from their plants.
·        Café which wants to take online orders
·        Data analysis/visualisation of large amounts of aggregate data.
·        Booking system for borrowing multimedia equipment
·        Someone who runs a home business, shoves receipts into a drawer, then has to process them for tax
·        A Family Day Care home business that needs to track the hours and charge for each child
·        Basketball competition stats recorder – to output a ladder in a format to be uploaded into the website
·        Something to help Student Council organise events
·        Small business customers or sales
·        Inventory of theatre costumes
·        Daily Organization
·        Daily Org
·        Invoice System
·        Notify Parents of Absence
·        Flexy time - hours and pay
·        Quotation system - paint house, tree removal,
·        Stock Control - in\out
·        Sports equipment loans

Chris Bucknell
HO CDT (SS); Coord,VCE & Int Exams; Coord HRS
Phone: 03 9904 6360

Chris.Bucknell at haileybury.vic.edu.au<mailto:%7bemail%7d>
www.haileybury.com.au<http://www.haileybury.com.au>