[Year 12 SofDev] Alternative to GameMaker for Year-8 and Year-9

Groves, Brett G groves.brett.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Oct 8 22:37:58 UTC 2019

Hi Jayanti

I went through the process of looking at alternatives to GM8.1 last year and there were a few candidates but nothing free. I actually bought a class set of GM Studio licences and found it completely unsuitable at Year 9. The students really struggled with the interface - total waste of the budget.

What was settled for in the end was to go back to GM8.1 (can help you with an MSI installer if you would like) and use Unreal Engine (https://www.unrealengine.com) for the latter part of the course. If you have a lab that has computers with graphics cards of a reasonable standard you can make parts of a 3d game at a level that Year 9 students can cope with. There's a heap of tutorial material available in video and text form - it's worth having a look at but it won't run on pc's with integrated graphics.

Other alternatives

Godot https://godotengine.org/ but doesn't use drag and drop, students will need to code - some may see this as an advantage if their students have prior coding experience or they have the duration to ramp the students.
Cry Engine https://www.cryengine.com/ similar to Unreal Engine in that you can create with minimal coding but needs a powerful graphics processor
Defold https://defold.com/ see issues same as Godot
Monogame  http://www.monogame.net<http://www.monogame.net/> see issues same as Godot
Corona https://coronalabs.com/ see issues same as Godot +++