[Year 12 SofDev] PCs and MAC

Benjamin Ratcliffe Benjamin.Ratcliffe at YVG.vic.edu.au
Thu Jan 24 03:08:47 UTC 2019

Hi Litsa,

From my experience, it comes down to the availability for your chosen language/development environment and it’s availability/portability on the two platforms.

I wanted to ensure all students had access, but in the end I decided to keep with the school’s standard: Visual Basic / Visual Studio / Windows.

I made it clear from the outset that students who did not have access to a Windows PC would need to plan accordingly, e.g., using the school’s computer labs, a home PC or set up their Apple Macs to also run Windows.

The other option is to choose a language/development environment that works on both platforms, although it is always a risk switching code between two OSs, so I would be suggesting student pick one and stick with it, but it could make marking and review harder for you.

Happy to discuss further: Benjamin.ratcliffe at yvg.vic.edu.au<mailto:Benjamin.ratcliffe at yvg.vic.edu.au>

Regards,

Ben

Benjamin Ratcliffe
Year 11 Tutor | Co-House Coordinator - Plummer | Teacher - Media and Digital Technologies

 From: sofdev <sofdev-bounces at edulists.com.au> on behalf of Litsa Tzelepis <htzelepis at msj.vic.edu.au>
Date: Thursday, 24 January 2019 at 12:51
To: "sofdev at edulists.com.au" <sofdev at edulists.com.au>
Subject: [Year 12 SofDev] PCs and MAC

Hello.
Just a quick question I hope.

My IT lab has PCs but my students have Mac laptops.

I have commenced our headstart program last year using the PCs. Are my students going to have problems working between the 2 OSs? I should know this but I’m new to this. Previously we are all Windows.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Litsa :-)

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

IMPORTANT! This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Mount St Joseph Girls' College does not represent or warrant that the attached files are free from computer viruses or other defects. The attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The liability of Mount St Joseph Girls' College is limited in any event to either the resupply of the attached files or the cost of having the attached files resupplied. Any representations or opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of Mount St Joseph Girls' College.

Disclaimer

This email is intended for the use of the named individual or entity and may contain confidential and privileged information.
Any dissemination, distribution or copying by anyone other than the intended recipient of this email is strictly prohibited.
Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure material in this email message is free from computer viruses or other defects,
the attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for use of the material transmitted.
This message, including any attachments, is provided without responsibility in law for its accuracy or otherwise and without assumption of a duty of care by Yarra Valley Grammar.
If this email has been received in error, then please notify Yarra Valley Grammar immediately and destroy the original message.