[Year 12 SofDev] Fw: eCommerce course

Kevork KROZIAN kkrozian at ringwoodsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Feb 27 07:23:24 UTC 2019

Hi Victoria

What a great effort to get the eCommerce course up and running.

For many years I ran a holiday house online business (in Phillip Island) starting back in 2003 and later sold in 2013. The remnants of the then eCommerce web site can still be browsed at http://www.edulists.com.au/phillip/ .

Data collection was fine, the MySQL back end was fine, however the payment of bookings needed a middle-man and that was known as a payment gateway provider. For a fee of 1% of the amount processed, clients could enter relevant data in my web site in the payment page and then jump into the payment provider’s secure site where the credit card payment could be made and the funds would be cleared on the same day into the business account. This removed the need for me to provide the secure site for payment information and additionally, allowed for a refund process to clients ( eg. The security bond to be paid back at the end of the rental period). It worked like a clock and removed the need for manual processing of payments etc.

The payment gateway provider changed ownership several times during the life of the business from Logic Commerce, Payflow, Paypal etc .  The banks can link you up with their preferred payment gateway provider for those wanting to fully implement their payment system

The final link in the business was how to find customers online. The web site stayz.com.au always came up in the top 3 hits for any Phillip island holiday accommodation search and the astute business owners had carved up all the land around Australia into slices and the relevant site for Phillip Island was https://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/vic/phillip-island-gippsland . So this site at less than $100 a month allowed for serious traffic to look for our property and then to redirect the enquiries to our web site from where the bookings were finalised.
This holiday accommodation business generated close to a single professional wage annually for a small outlay in strategic spending to allow for the smooth operation of the business. As the business was the short term holiday rental market we also employed local cleaners to manage the turnovers smoothly.

In fact I gave a few presentations during the VITTA conferences (RIP), during the period I ran the business.

I hope your students are inspired by the story and can also take the projects to fruition online.

So, there you are, a story with common technical components taken to the full payment process.

Speak soon

Kevork Krozian

IT Pathways Manager

Ringwood Training

[cid:image002.png at 01D30A19.067A12C0]

RINGWOOD TRAINING TOURS

Every Thursday 3 – 4pm  - Other Arrangements by Appointment

Welding Short Course : 11th , 18th , 25th October, 1st November

For more Short Course Information or enrolment contact admin at rt.vic.edu.au<mailto:admin at rt.vic.edu.au> or call 9845 7560

3 Hill Street

Ringwood East Victoria 3135

Tel: 0419 356 034