[Year 12 SofDev] SD Exam Thoughts

ATKINSON-BUCK, Damien Damien.ATKINSON-BUCK at ivanhoe.com.au
Fri Nov 16 06:44:07 UTC 2018

Hi all,
Just thought I'd get the ball rolling and get some discussion happening (be nice to me :)).

Overall I thought it wasn't too some nice questions bad, but there were a few sticky points for my mind.
My multiple choice answers
Question

My Answer

My rationale

1

A nice easy start :)

2

Non-functional - reliability

3

ARRRGH!! What does that "Only" mean. It could be read as Only the client data is stored on the external drive (therefore D, backup) OR the client data is moved so it is only on the external drive (therefore C, archiving)
I'm pretty sure C is the intention, but I really don't think this is a well worded question, especially for our international students!

4

Is the only one that would produce a result and be reused regularly

5

The loop prints 0, 21, 42, 63, 84 then exits at the top

6

Note: the array starts at 1 in this question

7

While loop = iteration

8

Storing data of multiple types as 1 structure

9

A and B are out. C implies that the firewall has failed and they're in, leaving D

10

Frankie was attempting to back the work up, just because it got deleted by someone else, doesn't make it archiving....I know we don't use the term duplicating in the SD, but realistically, copying it is duplicating it so isn't C technically correct?

11

A gets rid of his only copy, what's the point of B and if he copies it back onto the school computer, someone could just delete it again, therefore D is out

12

Checking if it matches a valid number

13

I'm leaning towards A. B is out because of passing it onto local health services. C should be out because of the sharing. D is obviously out because payments are reported to the fed govt.

14

B and D are out. I initially leant towards C but figure that too much of the data comes from servers for it to be rich client. Leaving A

15

Nice definitional

16

1st pass from Le down; 2nd pass from Oscar down, 3rd pass Vicky down, 4th pass leaves just 1 - Vinnie

17

A = evaluation, B = functionality testing, D is part of the design

18

Reviewing data to establish patterns across databases

19

A, B or D

The automatic answer to go for here was A - spam act, but he's not sending unsolicited email, they are subscribers. It's not the Copyright act. B and D both could theoretically be breaches of the Use and Disclosure (APP6 in the 1988 privacy act and IPP9 in the 2014 Act) however, he's not got a turnover over 3mil so the 1988 is out and I presume he's not working with/for a government agency so the 2014 act is out too.

20

It took a bit of research and I've never used the term myself (possibly a big oopsy) but apparently the data element is the data itself inside of the variable - I've just referred to it as the value etc. Hoping my kids got it right!!!!

Section B
On the whole, I thought this was pretty good, I did wonder why the array index started at 0 for question 1, when MC6 above it starts at 1 and then in question 5 it starts at 1. I have no issues with it being either in an exam, but be consistent!!!
Question 4 - for full marks, are students expected to explain big O notation etc or are we going to just allow general explanations?

Section C
I liked the case study itself, the questions....well....
Question 1

a.       The Gantt chart only goes up to 27!  Not sure there's anything else to say. Jobs don't have to happen one after the other? Then point out these things?

b.       There are no arrows on the Gantt chart, therefore there are no dependencies.

                                                               i.      OK, logically we know development is dependent on design, if the design is going to be delayed, then the dev will too, but there are no arrows and it starts as soon as the trial finishes, so it could have been waiting on that.

                                                             ii.      No consequence....by the way, any logical reason on the Gantt chart why set up webserver starts when it does, and without any arrows, is Develop process for stores dependent on the setup as well as or just the create & fill database?

c.       Pick the end of any 2 - only 1 I can't see being legitimate is stores begin to add items for sale, it doesn't say when they'll ever finish adding them, presumably never as they're always going to sell new models of things
Question 2

a.       I initially went constraint here, but it's not a constraint of the app development, it's a constraint of the hardware. Therefore it's a FR

b.       NFR
Question 4

a.       Range is only 10m

b.       Must have the ability to send wirelessly encrypted messages so it cant be hacked? Must have an aerial with the ability to connect to a mobile tower so it can have comms?

Question 12
Where are the 6 marks here?
The SD breaks an evaluation strategy up into

(1)   specifying a timeline (1 mark) ,

(2)   outlining what data will be collected (1 mark)

(3)   and by what methods and techniques (1 mark),

(4)   and how the data relates to the criteria that were generated in the design stage. (1 mark)
There's 4 things to do in a strategy do they relate each of the 4 for each criterion back to the case study for a half mark each and then 1 mark for the explanation of the strategy?

Anyway, that's enough from me, would love to see some discussion about my ramblings or other questions I haven't commented on.

Cheers
Damien

PS
To those of you giving up your time at the training day and marking, kudos to you & have fun, sorry I couldn't be there this year....

Damien Atkinson-Buck
Member of Academic Staff (Secondary).
<http://>

[http://www.ivanhoe.com.au]<http://www.ivanhoe.com.au/>

The Ridgeway, Ivanhoe VIC 3079 Australia

p. +61 3 9490 3848

e. damien.atkinson-buck at ivanhoe.com.au<mailto:damien.atkinson-buck at ivanhoe.com.au>

w. www.ivanhoe.com.au<http://www.ivanhoe.com.au>

[cid:image005.png at 01D47DD3.F6EB1540]<http://www.facebook.com/IvanhoeGrammarSchool> [cid:image007.png at 01D47DD3.F6EB1540] <http://twitter.com/ivanhoegrammar>  [Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/ivanhoegrammarschool/>  [https://www.linkedin.com/company/ivanhoe-grammar-school/] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/ivanhoe-grammar-school/>

Privacy, Virus and Copyright Warning

The information contained in this electronic message (e-mail), and any files transmitted with it:

* is intended for the named recipients only. If you have received this in error, please advise the sender and delete it and any copies immediately;
* Any personal information in this email must be used in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 and this always applies even if it has been sent to you in error.
* represents the views of the sender and does not necessarily represent the views or formal advice of Ivanhoe Grammar School;
* may be subject to Copyright, so no further use should be made of it without the author's permission.

The School does not represent or warrant that the email or any files attached do not contain errors or are free from computer viruses or other defects nor does it accept responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the email or any attached files.