[Year 12 SofDev] Python SAT Ideas

Andrew Pate arp at mentonegrammar.net
Thu Nov 15 11:45:54 UTC 2018

Hi all,
These last two sound very similar to my setup and Mentone. We have BYOD so the kids use their own environment.
I have Macs and PCs and one student went Linux on me in 2017 – that was interesting!  Use XAMPP on PC and MAMP (mostly) on Macs as it seems to run more smoothly. I use Atom (made by GitHub folk) as do most of my students, but I don’t make them. I have used DW, brackets and had a couple of students this year use Visual Studio Code.
I like Atom, it is very similar to brackets and has lots of contributors making customisations for code completion, syntax highlighting, FTP transfer and mixins for Bootstrap, jQuery etc…

Most of my students use Bootstrap for page layout, and I too have them make all resources local, no internet connections. We display our SAT’s in our Art and Design Exhibition each year and those machines don’t have access to the web to reduce unwanted use during the show.

I have a smaller group next year and am thinking about having them use a git repo to do backup. BitBucket allows good free accounts, GitHub have a student/teacher thing which I haven’t looked at yet, but could work.

Thanks
Andrew.

Hello,

Thought I’d add a little to the conversation, as choosing a language that best suits the students’ needs and the Study Design can be tricky!
Especially when as teachers we don’t have a lot of time to experiment with learning new languages, you often choose a language and stick with it in fear of the learning curve if you switch to something different!

We do use Python in the junior classes, when teaching coding and robotics.

However have been teaching PHP in the senior school for quite a few years.

Few reasons we teach PHP:

* Supports the 3-tier architecture often used in real-world application development, and which seems to be suggested through the current study design
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Overview_of_a_three-tier_application_vectorVersion.svg#/media/File:Overview_of_a_three-tier_application_vectorVersion.svg<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Overview_of_a_three-tier_application_vectorVersion.svg#/media/File:Overview_of_a_three-tier_application_vectorVersion.svg>
* Easy entry-level language
* Easy setup; students install XAMPP
* etc.

Scaffolded learning across our senior school supports this:
Year 10 students - HTML and CSS
Year 11 Unit 1 – HTML and CSS
Year 11 Unit 2 – PHP with HMTL
Year 12 SAT – HTML+CSS (presentation layer), PHP (logic), mySQL or CSV (data storage layer)

In the SAT project, students can use CSV files or a mySQL database to store their data; whichever best suits their skills and their project requirements.

Thanks to whomever originally shared the Brackets tool – looks great, I will have to investigate if it is better suited for Year 10 than Dreamweaver.

Question – to those who are running a physical/virtual server which students FTP to: do you limit student access to their development files only while they are at school? Or can they access it externally also.

While Damien’s original question was about Python scenarios/project ideas, I can share PHP project ideas instead, and would like to add new ideas to my list too.

Thanks,
Lisa Kerekes
Secondary Teacher