[Year 12 SofDev] A case study of the Hurricane

Esther ANDREWS ANDREWS.Esther at BSSC.EDU.AU
Tue Sep 12 17:20:07 AEST 2017

Hello all,

I've put together videos from hurricane Irma that I think work well with the last Outcome.

It covers things such as

  *   the early predictions and how they evolved
  *   the various models (the UK model was more accurate than the USA model)
  *   The importance of correct data - some of the disaster preparation and warnings
  *   The actual computer that was used for the modelling in the UK (a huge, recently completed Cray supercomputer)
  *   The various pieces of equipment used to collect the data
  *   How this equipment connects to the supercomputers

Because I've embedded the videos, the powerpoint is HUGE.

Compressed version (still 100MB): https://www.dropbox.com/s/fozzejyblxo6kvw/Hurricane%20Irma%20compressed.pptx?dl=0

Uncompressed version (273MB): https://www.dropbox.com/s/97d43wv0sao8puy/Hurricane%20Irma.pptx?dl=0

Feel free to download it and edit/use as you wish.

Regards,

Esther.

Esther Andrews | Admin Systems Developer, IT and Maths Teacher
Bendigo Senior Secondary College
Box 545 | BENDIGO | Victoria  3552   Australia
B +61 3 5443 1222 | F  +61 3 5441 4548
andrews.esther at bssc.edu.au<mailto:andrews.esther at bssc.edu.au>
www.bssc.edu.au<https://mail.bssc.edu.au/OWA/redir.aspx?C=a72c4d4a10f746eea69b0ae04394b999&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bssc.edu.au%2f>
Our ROLE is to empower learners for individual, community and global leadership. We value Respect, Optimism, Learning and Environment.