[Year 12 SofDev] Notes from SD meet up

Mary Ho homn at aquinas.vic.edu.au
Tue Jan 31 11:58:53 AEDT 2017

Thanks Lisa, as usual you've been great

On 31 January 2017 at 11:42, Lisa Kerekes <Lisa.Kerekes at donvale.vic.edu.au>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> A few teachers have emailed me directly (especially those new to the
> subject), asking what we covered in the January meeting I held last week
> for SD teachers. I’ve tried to recall and write some possibly useful notes
> below. Take/leave/disagree with whatever you like. Sorry for the length!
>

> We chatted mostly about challenges experienced running the course for the
> first time last year, some of which are resolved due to actually having the
> SAT Assessment Criteria now. For others we shared how we’d taught
> particular sections. The use of templates to guide and speed student
> evaluation, etc.)
>

> *U3O1 *
> we compared the task breakdown… the scope of each task seemed highly
> dependent upon the length of class periods at each school (75min to
> 120mins). My periods are shorter, hence I broke U3O1 into six tasks. We all
> agreed that each folio assessment should be completed within a single
> period for authentication purposes etc.
>

> Ensure that you provide the design tools for students (eg. IPO, data
> dictionary, pseudocode/flowchart, maybe a template for testing & trace
> tables, images/csv files/forms required for development. Bonus – this
> speeds up & focuses students on development, as well as familiarising them
> with the tools.)
>
> We all gave different weighting to diff tasks.
>

> I used a modified version of this assessment rubric from digipubs for each
> task, incorporating specific abilities they needed to demo:
> http://deecddigipubs2014.businesscatalyst.com/vcaa/vce-
> computing/vce-computing-units-3-and-4-software-dev-unit-3-performance
>

> Rough overview of the tasks I’m planning to run this year (let me know if
> I missed something!). Note that everyone was doing something a little
> different, no problem with that!
>
> 1.      IF, CASE, numeric calculations
>
> 2.      Loops, Trace table
>
> 3.      Function, CSV file read, Array
>
> 4.      CSV file write and read, display to page
>
> 5.      Linear search, trace table, loop
>
> 6.      Data sort and display, Binary search
>
> All require a testing table, quality internal documentation.
>

> *U3O2:*
> Most have already started students on finding a potential need and client.
> Would guide students away from choosing an opportunity unless they are
> excellent students, due to the difficulty of gathering real data to form
> the basis of the SRS analysis.
>

> *Updated SAT Criteria *If you missed Claudia’s email – the 2017 SAT
> Criteria have been released. Note particularly that Criteria 7 has been
> divided more evenly amongst Crit 7 and 8, with Crit 7 now focusing on
> Testing and Crit 8 on Evaluation. Wording changes have been made throughout
> to clarify requirements. Some criteria have been swapped in order.
> http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/computing/SBA_
> Software_Development.pdf

> [...]

Mary Ho

Teacher

AQUINAS COLLEGE

Great Ryrie Street

P.O. Box 190, Ringwood VIC 3134

T: (03) 9259 3045

VM: (03) 9259 3139

E: homn at aquinas.vic.edu.au

Promoting justice and the love of God

This email and any attachments may be confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this
email. If received in error, please notify the sender or Aquinas College
immediately and delete the email and all copies. Aquinas College does not
represent or warrant that the attached files are free from computer viruses
or other defects. Any attached files may only be used on the basis that the
user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequences
resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files,
whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The liability of
Aquinas College is limited in any event to either the resupply of the
attached files or the cost of having the attached files resupplied. Any
representations or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
individual sender and do not necessarily represent those of Aquinas
College. Emails and data sent and received by Aquinas email accounts may be
stored offsite.