[Year 12 SofDev] Question Re SAT need/opportunity

Mary Ho homn at aquinas.vic.edu.au
Tue Mar 8 11:27:07 AEDT 2016

Thank you all for the responses

Mary

On 8 March 2016 at 09:12, Guy Flaherty <Guy.Flaherty at xavier.vic.edu.au>
wrote:

> Hi Mary,
>

> Rendering pdf files inside an application will really depend on the
> environment the student is using. If the student has access to a web view
> object, something that can display html, it should be possible to display
> the file. The student may be able to leverage a control that opens the
> installed web browser on the target machine and uses that for the display,
> for example. Otherwise, if they can display a html page through some kind
> of html control, they might be able to utilise a javascript library like
> pdf.js to display the pdf. Finally, if they don’t have access to this, I
> suggest having the student look at pipelining the file to postscript and
> then to text/html as required. There are opensource tools available for
> this in the ghostscript libs and I am pretty sure they work on windows?!
> This will not work well for all pdfs but does work pretty well for text
> heavy documents.
>

> Good luck,
>
> Guy Flaherty

Mary Ho

Teacher

AQUINAS COLLEGE

Great Ryrie Street

P.O. Box 190, Ringwood VIC 3134

T: (03) 9259 30345

VM: (03) 9259 3139

E: homn at aquinas.vic.edu.au

CELEBRATING OUR YEAR OF STEWARDSHIP

This email and any attachments may be confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this
email. If received in error, please notify the sender or Aquinas College
immediately and delete the email and all copies. Aquinas College does not
represent or warrant that the attached files are free from computer viruses
or other defects. Any attached files may only be used on the basis that the
user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequences
resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files,
whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The liability of
Aquinas College is limited in any event to either the resupply of the
attached files or the cost of having the attached files resupplied. Any
representations or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
individual sender and do not necessarily represent those of Aquinas
College. Emails and data sent and received by Aquinas email accounts may be
stored offsite.