[Year 12 SofDev] SD SAT admin info

Esther Andrews ANDREWS.Esther at BSSC.EDU.AU
Wed Mar 2 12:55:42 AEDT 2016

Perhaps they create the useability CRITERIA in the design stage (U3O2) but the actual method of assessing this criteria can be decided later?

From: sofdev-bounces at edulists.com.au [mailto:sofdev-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Wednesday, 2 March 2016 12:44 PM
To: Year 12 Software Development Teachers' Mailing List <sofdev at edulists.com.au>
Subject: [Year 12 SofDev] SD SAT admin info

Hi,SAT navigators. A quick question.

VCAA's admin info PDF says at the top of p.4 that "Students must present evidence of the useability test that they designed, conducted and documented."

I would have assumed that all design should take place during the design stage in U3O2 - and be assessed as part of U3O2. But the design of the usability test is not included in the design assessment rubric for U3O2.

That means that design of the useability test happens during development in U4O1 and will be assessed in U4O1.

Isn't that contrary to the spirit of the PSM which expects that design should be complete before development begins.

Yes: I know that the new study design acknowledges Agile and says (p.14) that "when creating solutions, this methodology can be applied as a single stage-by-stage problem-solving process or to each iteration of an agile problem-solving process." but Agile does not deliberately plan to design after development begins.

Agile just acknowledges that sometimes circumstances require a solution to return to an earlier stage and start again, e.g. because of technological developments, changes in the market, new client requirements, or changes to legislation that make the current design or solution infeasible.

I can't see a reason why a useability test could not be designed before development begins... if the solution's design is thorough.

I think the useability test could be created during design. Designing anything during development (apart from user documentation, perhaps) does not seem right to me.

But then again determining evaluation criteria during design never felt right either, but that's a different story.

Mark

mark at vceit.com<mailto:mark at vceit.com>
http://vceit.com