[Year 12 SofDev] 2015 Exam Query

Selina Dennis selina at dennis.net.au
Tue Aug 30 10:20:22 AEST 2016

Hi Carlin,

Depending on both the wired and the wireless setup, I could see “C” as being justifiable.

Most wired networks tend to be “plug-and-play” and on these types of networks, it would be faster to add a computer to a wired network when compared to some wireless networks. For example, at home our wireless has a password to access it, but we also use MAC address whitelisting (which is an easy configuration option in the router). It’s far easier to add a new desktop to our network with a Cat5/6 cable than it is to add it via wireless, as we don’t need to enter the MAC address to the white-list if it’s cabled. Adding systems to our wireless network is officially a “pain in the ass” as unless you can easily find the MAC address of the system (which can vary in difficulty depending on what device it is), then the process we need to take is quite tedious.

(For interest, it involves turning off wireless access on the router, disabling MAC address filtering, turning wireless access back on, connecting the new device, refreshing the connected device list, comparing the MAC addresses connected to find the new one, adding the new one, stopping the wireless services, re-enabling the MAC address filtering, and then turning the whitelist back on).

(Also for interest, it is relatively straightforward to set up a similar MAC address filtering system via a wired network with MAC address whitelists.)

I would argue that our wireless network at home is by default more secure than our wired network, as to get access to our wired network, you just need to find a port and plug it in – our home has many windows for easy “home invasion” access! (This might mean that answer “A” is also plausible!)

Perhaps the question should have had a scenario attached to it with some more information to make it clearer for students, or been presented as a short answer question.

Hope that helps,

Selina Dennis

Strathmore Secondary College