[Year 12 SofDev] Acer’s Little Modular PC Snaps Together Like Legos

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Sep 3 14:51:10 AEST 2015

Hi, fellow Deniers of the Death of Desktops,

For those looking at the Acer modular PC and groaning "Awwww" because it's
not available yet, you might want to consider the Intel NUC
<http://www.digitaltrends.com/desktop-computer-reviews/intel-nuc-core-i5-nuc5i5ryk-review/>
.

It's a tiny box with big grown-up PC power. And it's quiet. Actually it's
effectively silent. Mine is an arm's breadth away and I can't hear it at
all.

And it's cool - thermally and socially. Hipsters pass by, stroke their
mini-beards and say "Wow".*

I have one running 24x7 as a downloading machine, FTP server, media server,
and it's the perfect box to use for operations (like massive file copies or
media encoding) that will take hours.

I use VNC to monitor and control it from my desktop, laptop, tablet and
phone so no intrusive monitor/keyboard/mouse have to be plugged into it.

My NUCKY (named after my favourite gangster in 'Boardwalk Empire') has an
i5 CPU.
I stuck in 16GB of RAM and a 1TB hybrid SSD/HDD.

It has the same specs as my laptop, but for some odd reason it often
outperforms my i7 (3.9GHz) 32GB RAM desktop for media editing/encoding.

Mark

* This is a lie. I wouldn't let hipsters near my computers.

--

​
With every new sunrise, there is a new chance.

Mark Kelly

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com