[Year 12 SofDev] "Algorithm"

Mark mark at vceit.com
Mon Jun 1 13:26:53 AEST 2015

Hi, code freaks.

Have you ever noticed that the term "algorithm" that we rely on so much in
class does not actually occur in the mandated section of the current study
design?

It appears in the (non-examinable) 'Advice for Teachers' section, but it is
not used in key knowledge, key skills or glossary so the word "algorithm"
should not appear in exam questions.

That caught me by surprise as I was writing a juicy multiple choice exam
question.
Fortunately the new 2016 study design remedies this odd omission.

Other terms that are absent from the glossary and SD sections of the new
(and current) study designs are "compiler", "source code", "executable
code", and "debug" (but this does appear in unit 2 KK).

It's a bit like an exam for mechanics which can't use the word "spanner".

http://vceit.com