[Year 12 SofDev] Reading the study design

Mark mark at vceit.com
Tue Dec 15 11:32:35 AEDT 2015

Thanks, Duane. The interpretation seems to be heading in that direction,
even though research is revealing that the concepts are not *perfectly*
synonymous. In researching their differences, I found that associative
arrays (a.k.a. a map or dictionary) is an abstract data type (ADT) whereas
a hashing table is a concrete data structure. When I got this far
<http://cs.stackexchange.com/questions/6678/relation-and-difference-between-associative-array-and-hashing-table>
started backing away v-e-r-y slowly...

"A dictionary supports Find(x) queries. For an a key x, return the element
in the dictionary with key x, if such an element exists. A dynamic
dictionary also supports Insert(x) and Delete(x). Common implementations of
a dictionary include different kinds of balanced binary search trees (e.g.
red black tree) and various kinds of hash tables.

In addition to Find an ADT may require support of successor(x) queries.
That is, maintain a set of keys S, and given key x, find the smallest key
t∈S such that s<t. Concrete data structures which support the Successor ADT
include various binary search trees, and more complicated structures such
as an X-fast trie or van Emde Boas tree (if the keys are integers)."

Now I just have to squeeze that into a friendly slideshow...

Cheers
Mark

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com