[Year 12 SofDev] usability - NF requirement or constraint or both???

Mark mark at vceit.com
Sun Dec 6 12:39:34 AEDT 2015

Hi Katherine.

I can see 'usability' being listed as an NFR in the sense that: 'The
finished solution must be usable.'
It could also appear as a constraint on design choices for the same reason:
'The solution must be designed in a way that makes it very usable for the
end-user.'

Much of a muchness. There is some natural overlap in theory concepts.

For example, I still can't work out how scope is different to defining all
FR and NFR.
If you have defined ALL requirements, is the scope not *also* defined?
Anything that does not appear as a requirement must be - by definition -
not in scope.

Otherwise, listing things that are not in scope could go on til the crack
of doom.

e.g.

Solution: A toaster

In Scope:
- Scorch bread.
- Scorch muffins.
- Scorch crumpets.

Not in scope:
- Train elephants.
- Predict hurricanes.
- Solve crosswords.
- Blend mangoes.
- Pat the cat.
- Take the wife out dancing.
etc

Can anyone give an example of how something that is *not* a requirement
still *could* be in scope?

Regards
Mark

mark at vceit.com