[Year 12 SofDev] SD 2104 Post mortem progress report

Darren Scott dscott at ccb.vic.edu.au
Mon Nov 17 09:15:40 EST 2014

Hey all, something I’d like to check up on is Section A Question 6 … not the answer (more than happy that it’s a linear search), but the knowledge required compared to the study design.

The dot point in the study design is:
• techniques for searching, including binary search, and techniques for sorting, including bubble sort and quick sort

I thought it was mentioned in the past that the word “including” meant that the particular item could be in an exam, whereas anything not in the “including” was not specifically examined. Ergo, there could be (and has been) exact questions on bubble sort and quick sort, but not selection, insertion, gnome or any of the others. I assume most of us cover the “includings” in a lot more detail than the “not includings” – I know I’ve only paid lip service (one slide of a PowerPoint and three minutes of explanation) to linear searching as an alternative to binary searching.

I realise that I’m probably making a mountain out of a molehill here, and from memory Section A is allowed to be “tricksy” (if it’s not A, not B and not D then it must be C), but would the student who has focussed only on the study design be at a disadvantage here? How many would have said “it’s not a sort and binary search is the only one specifically in the study design” and chosen D?

Thoughts? Am I worrying over nothing?

Darren Scott
Catholic College Bendigo

[cid:ccbcrest60x63e66367]