[Year 12 SofDev] Scholarships in ICT & Higher Ed in VCE

Therese Keane tkeane at swin.edu.au
Tue Dec 2 10:57:44 EST 2014

Dear colleagues,

This information has been passed to me and I thought might be good to circulate even though I am aware that you students have completed their exams. If your students are interested in studying ICT there are some specific scholarships I thought they might be interested in.

·         Bachelor of Information Technology Industry Scholarship Program<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/study/courses/scholarships/24/bachelor-of-information-technology---industry-scholarship-program>

This course is one of Australia’s most prestigious IT degrees and aims to provide future leaders for the ICT industry. It has been designed in partnership with leading Australian companies to equip students to move quickly into senior ICT positions after graduation. Students spend 40 weeks gaining direct experience in the ICT industry by working with Swinburne’s industry partners. They also receive a tax-free scholarship totalling approximately $40,000, to be paid in fortnightly instalments over the three-year course. This degree is professionally accredited by the Australian Computer Society.

·         STEM Scholarship (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/study/courses/scholarships/190/science-technology-engineering-and-mathematics--stem--scholarship>
Students who STEM disciplines are eligible to apply for a new Swinburne Scholarship which provides students a number of benefits designed to increase their employability and reward their scholarly pursuit.

·         Vice-Chancellor's Excellence Scholarship (Information Technology)<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/study/courses/scholarships/34/vice-chancellors-excellence-scholarship--information-technology->

·         Dean's Outstanding Achievement Scholarship (Information Technology)<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/study/courses/scholarships/140/deans-outstanding-achievement-scholarship--information-technology->

Swinburne will be providing year 12 students a range of services to help them get the right advice during the Change of Preference period. I have included the  telephone numbers below:

·         Extended hotline hours– 1300 275 794

·         One-on-one appointments – Hawthorn campus

·         Change of Preference Expo– Hawthorn campus

Visit swinburne.edu.au/choose<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/change-of-preference/> for more information.

For further information, please contact Lauren Pearce on 9214 4427 (lpearce at swin.edu.au)

Also – as I mentioned in a previous email,  if you have students currently in Year 11 that are high achievers and want to study more IT at Year 12, the Higher Education Studies within the VCE<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/ict/courses/undergrad/hesvce.html> provides students the chance to study first year university units while completing Year 12. Students will receive credit for the units they have studied towards a relevant bachelor degree at Swinburne. Students must have completed or be concurrently enrolled in IT Applications Units 3 & 4 or Software Development Units 3 & 4, or have successfully completed VCE/VET Cert.III Media. The course is recognised by the VTAC and they will provide an ATAR increment as a fifth or sixth study score. A graded increment of 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, or 5 points will be included in the ATAR aggregate according to level of achievement. Swinburne will be offering two units in IT (Creating Web Applications and User Centered Design). They will also be offering two other units inPphysics and Astronomy. Application deadline is 13th of Feb 2015 and there will be no charge to study these units.

For further information, please contact Kathleen Mendan on 9214 4593 (kmendan at swin.edu.au)

Cheers
Therese

Dr Therese Keane
Lecturer in ICT Skills Development
Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
Room: EN502b
Phone: (+613) 9214 8579
Fax: (+613) 9819 0823

Twitter: #SwinEdTech