[Year 12 SofDev] CS10 - Postcodes

Vella, James jvella at mackillop.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 21 08:39:32 EST 2012

I thought the exam was reasonable and there weren't too many curveballs that my students should have faced.

That being said, a few things have come to my attention via the recent emails from the listing...

*         Q3 - cost effective should have pointed to efficiency, while quality should have pointed to effectiveness for the kids...curveball for the less literate students I think...a few of my kids have mentioned they didn't find this question a problem though.

I've come to this conclusion with regards to the postcode question (CS 10):

*         The question clearly states "a valid Victorian postcode for a RESIDENTIAL address" hence only 3000 to 3999 being used in the algorithm.

o   The 8000-series postcodes are only for Large Volume Receivers (big business, govt departments, etc) and PO boxes.

*         Most VCE students wouldn't be aware that there are less than 10 exceptions to the 3000-3999 rule for Victorian postcodes, and less than 30 exceptions to state based rules nationally!

*         If the examiners included both of the above, the selection statement in the algorithm would look incredibly confusing and for most students it would not have been workable.

*         Whether postcode is a string or integer variable...does it really matter?

o   For the purposes of this question, students were told to choose a value. This did not require them to list a data type.

o   We all know as people who have coded before that there are always a number of different ways that solutions can be implemented. In reality, does it matter whether students use a string or whether they use an integer and then format it with a leading zero or parse it as a string? Same result (most of the time...) in the end

 Mr James Vella
Head of Technology - ICT
MacKillop College
Russell Street
Werribee, VIC 3030

*     email: jvella at mackillop.vic.edu.au<mailto:s at mackillop.vic.edu.au>
* phone: +61-3-87345200
* Fax: +61-3-87345261
* mail: PO Box 522, Werribee VIC 3030
*      web: www.mackillop.vic.edu.au<http://www.mackillop.vic.edu.au/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail contains confidential information intended only for the use of the name addressee. It may also be subject to professional privilege. If you are not the named recipient any disclosure, copying, forwarding or using any part of this e-mail or its attachments is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us by telephone on 0387345200. MacKillop College does not warrant that this e-mail or any attachments are error or virus free and recommends that all attachments be checked for viruses and other defects. Similarly, MacKillop College does not warrant that this e-mail has been free of interception by a third party and may store the content sent to us, if we believe that we have a legal requirement to do so. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.