[Year 12 SofDev] SD 2012 post mortem

Matheson, Heath A Matheson.Heath.A at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Nov 19 22:11:30 EST 2012

Thanks  once again for the post mortem Mark, my first way of viewing this year's SD exam.

I have a few thoughts :

MultiChoice Q4 - the ethical one. What if I said "Miss Programmer, I want you to make me a program that will give me all e-mails of my employees containing the word snowie or sickie."? Using the 'What would the VCAA want me to say?' strategy I'd go with D.

I didn't like B Q3: I like the prototype answer although I think using the word "completeness" rather than "quality" in the question would have been better if this is the case. Rapid Action Development pops into my head, which I guess is repeated prototyping, but I thought that was long gone. I would answer 'when the client doesn't really know what the finished product should look like and the solution requirements are likely to change along the way' but that's certainly not something I would teach.

I like the pseudocode questions.

I think CS Q1 should have asked for a functional requirement that a phone alone cannot provide first then asked for an additional important functional requirement
In CS Q3b I think 1 could also be record symptom data and 2 is collate asthma episode data which includes the phone id (shown in the DFD).
CS Q7 I think using the term "queue" would be what they are looking for with justification being FIFO meaning it would always contain the last 24 hours of readings.
Regarding Acceptance Testing, the term acceptance is only used adjacent to user in the study design which adds a bit of weight to the "asthmatics" answer.
This would be the second time in the case study that you can repeat an answer for parts a and b of a question (question 1)

I do like this paper, something there for everyone to have a go at.

Please let me know folks if I'm completely wrong with these thoughts :)

Looking forward to getting back to SD next year, I prefer it to ITA.
Happy year 11 exam marking!

Heath Matheson
Mount Beauty