[Year 12 SofDev] Students copying and pasting in learning tasks

Sonia McDonald Sonia.McDonald at gippslandgs.vic.edu.au
Thu Jul 19 11:15:08 EST 2012

Hi,

I do it opposite to that. ☺

I show them an example final result on the projector, and let them figure out the code behind it (within a ridiculous time limit - say, 5 minutes).

Example:

  *   name:
  *   age:
  *   address:
  *   timetable
     *   monday:
     *   tuesday:....

The ones that can do it feel proud and are usually the ones that will help the others.

I also run in-class tests like that - where they are given a layout/design on a piece of paper, and they code the HTML/CSS to make it look exactly the same as the design. All within a ridiculous time limit. Albeit, the designs are quite simplistic, and the faster kids can extend themselves by adding other pages/images etc, while if the others cannot complete the tasks, they are given the opportunity to /**/ comment their reasons why. Then that gives me the ability to run through the parts they don't understand again - and extend the faster ones.

It's tough, but good for their brains!!

Regards,

Sonia McDonald

Teacher of Information Technology/Multimedia - Garnsey Campus