[Year 12 SofDev] Use Cases, context diagrams

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Wed Feb 8 22:11:38 EST 2012

Hi Mark,

   Yes, a number of interesting statements in the articles ( and linked
articles from those pages including "The pros and cons of use case diagrams,
<http://searchsoftwarequality.techtarget.com/news/1273406/The-pros-and-cons-
of-use-case-diagrams> ",  "Five use case traps to avoid:
<http://searchsoftwarequality.techtarget.com/tip/Software-requirements-analy
sis-Five-use-case-traps-to-avoid> " , "How to document use cases
<http://searchsoftwarequality.techtarget.com/news/1264767/How-to-document-us
e-cases> "  etc.

  The other  statements I picked up that made me think and it makes sense
is:

1)      It is worth keeping in mind that actor is a slight misnomer. In UML
an actor is a role rather than something that plays a role. For roles
carried out by humans the term user role is an increasingly common
alternative term to actor. Although it's clearer, the term is not a drop-in
substitute for actor because not all actors are human roles, and not all
human roles would necessarily be classed as users in a context diagram. The
common stick-figure notation for actors makes sense for human roles, but it
looks a little strange for nonhuman roles such as devices and other software
systems. For those kinds of actors consider using an alternative icon or
simply a box stereotyped with <actor>.

Displaying external systems such as a video system or a Credit Card System
as a stick figure does make it look strange.

2)      There is little point in drawing a diagram if you don't know what
you want from it   -  true. What are students doing with the ucd they are
given ?

As far as the text based use cases vs the diagrammatic representation, this
is my first year teaching it so I would like to hear what others have done.

Kind Regards

Kevork Krozian

Edulists Creator Administrator

www.edulists.com.au