[Year 12 SofDev] List of Places to buy SD Practice Exams

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Aug 14 13:39:45 EST 2012

- Insight is *not* producing new ITA or SD papers.

- CSE and QATS do ITA and SD papers.

- From memory, TSSM do ITA but not SD... I have never seen a paper from
them so I can't comment on their quality or value.

- The ones who were Chemistry Associates (whose new name I cannot recall -
Kilbana??) do an ITA paper, I think. Several years ago I was stunned by the
awfulness of one of their papers and have not returned... but this must
have changed since then, so don't let me put you off.

- I've ordered the 2012 VITTA SD papers and hope like mad that they're
good.

I also hope that VITTA considers my constructive suggestions and debugs the
2011 papers before continuing to sell them as-is.

I was *never* aiming to embarrass VITTA or the exams' authors (whose
identity I do not know), but knowing that many people will be using these
papers with their kids really soon spurred me to urgently raise some valid
issues that teachers might not have noticed.

I know I made many posts (apologies for the flood), but many issues needed
to be raised. It's odd however that there has been absolutely no response
to them. I can't believe that you guys either agree with everything I've
said, or are so stunned by my stupidity that you cannot bear to dignify
them with a reply.  There are several questions I really want to find
answers for, particularly regarding the depth of knowledge required by some
questions. I'd like to know if I really need to cover some points more
deeply with my kids - really soon!

I apologise if the exams' authors were offended by any post I've made
recently. That was certainly not my intention. I strove to keep my comments
factual and based purely on the questions, not on the people associated
with them. Writing exams is an onerous art, and I am rarely 100% satisfied
with mine even after four edits, and I do appreciate constructive feedback
that helps me write better papers in future.

I don't know if VITTA's feelings are hurt, but a professional organisation
should not have feelings to be hurt. They do, however, have an obligation
to their paying customers to take on valid and well-intended criticism to
improve the quality of their commercial products.

Regards
Mark

On 14 August 2012 12:52, Andrew Shortell <shortell at get2me.net> wrote:

> Also Insight SRC does practice exams
>
> Be careful on vcaa web site that you use ones relevent to *this* study
> design.
>
>  Andrew Shortell
> CRC Melton
>

> shortell at get2me.net
> @acsbear8 (twitter)
>

> On 14/08/2012, at 12:16 PM, Kent Beveridge <kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au>
> wrote:
>
> VITTA has some...but looks like a few bugs there judging by all the lister
> feedback recently.
> Also, grab past exams from the VCAA site(for IT in SD) together with the
> examiner reports...thats what I do every week with my lot.
>

> Kent.
>

> *Kent Beveridge*
> ICT Coordinator & Maths Teacher
> kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au << use this, not Edumail please!

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and
write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn - Alvin Toffler.