[Year 12 SofDev] VITTA SD exam 1 - C4a

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Aug 10 12:11:49 EST 2012

Please excuse my nitpicking. My kids are on autopilot practising VB for
U4O1 and I have slack time...
I don't intend to criticise VITTA or the noble author(s) of the exams; I
just want to point out points for other exam users to heed, and to
stimulate theoretical discussion.

The wording of C4a is a little unclear to me. When it says "Explain the
purpose of developing evaluation criteria during the design stage of the
project" it might want students to say:
- Why develop evaluation criteria?
- Why do it during the design stage rather than another stage?
- Or both?

The solution seems to assume the first interpretation more than the second,
so I think the question would be better as ""Explain the purpose of
developing evaluation criteria." without the irrelevant additional clause.
If both interpretations are required, a clearer wording might be: "Explain
the purpose of developing evaluation criteria, and suggest why they are
developed during the design stage of the project."

(At this stage I mount my hobbyhorse and once again wonder why VCAA insists
on putting the development of evaluation criteria in physical design! Since
requirements are determined during the logical design in analysis,
evaluation criteria could and should be worked out there too!  Why wait for
the start of physical design? This just does make sense to me. I'd gladly
listen to a theory justifying it.)

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au << use this, not Edumail please!

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and
write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn - Alvin Toffler.