[Year 12 SofDev] Oliver's Mexican Cantina

Allan Barnes abarnes at aiet.com.au
Fri Jul 29 09:58:45 EST 2011

Hi Mark

I have to admit I didn't spend a lot of time reading the case study in the
study design, although I did find it a little confusing. I don't quite
understand the idea behind the kitchen system - if I was designing the info
system (which clearly I'm not) the external entity at the end of the line
would be the chef who stands there and yells out the orders  a la Gordon
Ramsey but without the swearing, and the kitchen system would therefore just
be the display mechanism for the order to be received, similar to a printer,
for example. The transmitting software I also would not have considered as
an entity either as it is just the method used to transfer the data from the
waiter to the chef, and therefore is not part of the systems analysis model.

To me it is:

As pointed out, if it is a context diagram the data store is not shown, but
if it is a DFD it is. I read the case study once and couldn't see any
reference to whether it needed to be a DFD or context diagram - it may have
been in there and I missed it.

The way I was taught at Uni was that the system analysis stage is not
interested in how the information gets from point A to point B - that is the
domain of the person designing the system, thus the hand-held PC, the
transmitting software and the display are irrelevant to the analysis of the
system. If Gordon says he wants his waiters to have hand held PC's and the
data to be transmitted somehow to somewhere and displayed on a screen then
this is part of my design of the system but is not relevant to how the
information is gathered and processed.

I don't know if systems analysis and design has changed since my uni days
but we were always taught a very strict delineation between analysis and
design and what was considered in each stage.

The Aussie dollar is doing well so I'm back on the Aussie (no disrespect to
the PNG currency).

Kind regards

Allan Barnes, CEO

Australian Institute of Education and Training

P.O. Box 171

Brunswick West 3055

Melbourne, Victoria

Ph: (03) 9387 2051