[Year 12 SofDev] Use Case dilemma (s)

Kevork Krozian K.Krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
Tue Nov 23 22:06:15 EST 2010

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the attachment and the explanations. It will help many of us trying to come to terms with the expectations of the Use Case diagrams for the course.
The problem arises when there are multiple sources explaining the same term .
I take it you feel the examples in the attached sample are not valid use cases namely, eat food, drink wine, cook wine ?

We will continue our discussion....
BTW do you have anything similar for SRS's ? I can get the whole IEEE Std 830-1998 standard but was wondering how much information and to what level of detail a SAC would require a SRS .
Eg. A key knowledge and a key skill  in AOS 31 respectively are
  . composition of an SRS and purposes of documenting an analysis in this form and
. write an SRS to document the requirements, constraints and scope .

Quoting from the SRS standard document:
4. Considerations for producing a good SRS
a) Nature of the SRS;
b) Environment of the SRS;
c) Characteristics of a good SRS;
d) Joint preparation of the SRS;
e) SRS evolution;
f) Prototyping;
g) Embedding design in the SRS;
h) Embedding project requirements in the SRS.

In addition the Parts of an SRS are listed as :
Table of Contents
1. Introduction
1.1 Purpose
1.2 Scope
1.3 Definitions, acronyms, and abbreviations
1.4 References
1.5 Overview
2. Overall description
2.1 Product perspective
2.2 Product functions
2.3 User characteristics
2.4 Constraints
2.5 Assumptions and dependencies
3. Specific requirements (See 5.3.1 through 5.3.8 for explanations of possible
specific requirements. See also Annex A for several different ways of organizing
this section of the SRS.)

I notice in the assessment handbook for Outcome 31 ( Unit 3, Outcome 1 ) the reference to SRS covers one criterion worth 5 marks out of 40
. Production of a Software Requirements Specification in which the functional and non-functional requirements, scope and constraints are documented using appropriate tools p42  Assessment handbook<http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vcaa/vce/studies/infotech/infotechhb-2011-2014.doc>

It would be really nice to have one sample SRS at the standard and content as required for SAC31 to make sense of that otherwise seems a really long report of a few dozen or more pages at this stage.

With thanks
Kevork