[Year 12 SofDev] SD Exam - Question 4

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 17 15:23:19 EST 2010

Maybe kids interpreted it that way because they didn't give the question
sufficient consideration. I bet stronger kids were thinking "WTF is
*this*about?"  I feel sorry for them.

But the question specifically demands an answer based on *effectiveness*,
not efficiency.

And anyway, if all 4 tests were run (as the question says), *there is no
difference in either efficiency either* - there was no mention of 'short
circuiting' of later tests based on the results of earlier tests.

In fact the question stressed that "the program has to provide *as much
information as possible* about what is wrong" which was why the four tests
were demanded in the first place.

To earn marks, if kids have to rewrite key words of a question, and insert
unspoken assumptions that contradict the explicit wording of the question,
we're all in *deep* trouble!

Manager Information Systems
Reporting Manager
IT Learning Area Manager

McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204
Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: +613 8520 9085
Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

My cow died on this day two years ago.  I know because I noted it in my
dairy.