[Year 12 SofDev] How much project management is enough?

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Nov 12 15:34:16 EST 2010

Hi all.  In the new study design, project management has been considerably
cut back: in SD and year 11, students are not required to use PM software,
and ITA doesn't mention PM at all.

SD key knowledge U3O1-02 is "key tasks associated with planning software
projects, including identifying, scheduling and monitoring tasks, resources,
people and time".

I'm not sure how deep the knowledge needs to be: are critical paths, slack,
predecessors, dependencies, milestones, lag & lead time, Gantt and PERT
examinable?  Just because students don't have to use PM software doesn't
necessarily mean they don't have to read a PERT, for example.

I thought I'd guessed the depth needed for Use Cases until I read the VCAA
FAQ, which had things like <<includes>> which I didn't figure necessary.
I don't want to be caught out if I cut back PM theory *too* far.

Regards
Mark

Manager Information Systems
Reporting Manager
IT Learning Area Manager

McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204
Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: +613 8520 9085
Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

My cow died on this day two years ago.  I know because I noted it in my
dairy.