[Year 12 SofDev] Back to BASIC(s)

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Wed Jun 30 16:56:14 EST 2010

I was going to second Laurie's suggestion but now I guess I'll have to third
Guy and Laurie's suggestions for all the same reasons. I presented it to my
Y10s but didn't make the decison to go this way until part way through the
semester, so opted for  Portable Python because it meant that I could run it
from a network folder (techs didn't have to put it onto the image). A big
plus I found with this implementation of Python was the IDE - it meant
students could focus on programming and not have to worry about separate
editors, interpreters etc.

Can I just say in defence of the GUI approach in SD (but not the Access
part) that it brings two benefits: having students think about human
interface design; and more importantly, allowing students to break a task
down into obvious chunks - it encourages/scaffolds a kind of top-down
approach which I think is educationally useful.

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC