[Year 12 SofDev] Teaching SD and ITA in the same classroom

Quentin Lydall qly at beaconhills.vic.edu.au
Mon Oct 27 14:32:09 EST 2008

Hi John,

I had similar circumstances in my previous school, Unit 1-2, IP&M and
Systems all in the same class (previous study design).  It went
reasonably well because I put their work on websites on the school's
network and with short core lessons could let the students learn at
their own pace.  It was a lot of work, especially in the beginning, but
after the setup year it became easier.  I could spend a lot of class
time working with individuals or small groups, which was beneficial, but
had to keep good records of who was at which stage.

I no longer have that situation and would not wish it on anyone,
teachers or students.  The one advantage was that they could learn at
their own pace due to all the course material being available.  This
worked so well that I use the same method here, though here it is on a
Moodle-based  intranet which the students can log on to from home as
well.

Hope this helps.

Quentin Lydall

Head of ICT

Beaconhills College Valley Campus

30-34 Toomuc Valley Road,

Pakenham

3810

Phone: 1300 002 225 Extn 3016

P Please consider the environment before printing my email