[Year 12 SofDev] Software Text Books

mppascoe at bigpond.com mppascoe at bigpond.com
Fri May 9 21:36:08 EST 2008

Jamie,

Sadly my experience is that the computer bookshops of old in the city seem
to be hard to find..
Readers Feast on Swanston and Burke St downstairs next to Dick Smith has a
small section on computer books.

I am lucky to have a networked set of local libraries with excellent online
internet searching and get various computer books sent to my local branch,
and there I check out which are the "good" ones.

If I decide to buy one:
What I do is use Dymocks Books like this:
Their Online site is great, and so I use their search engine to find a book
I am after there:
http://www.dymocks.com.au/

and use their search engine:  eg. Flash CS3 to find:

Eg.
http://www.dymocks.com.au/search/results.aspx?N=0&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallp
artial&Nty=1&Ntt=cs3%20flash%20classroom%20in%20a%20book

Then I get my local Dymock's shop to order it in for me, and buy it from
them, rather than online.

For Visual Basic, the best books I have found thus far are Adrian Janson's
VB.NET book,   (that Fatima from my school recently showed me)

and Graeme Summers books:

Graeme Summers book "Game Programming with Visual Basic.NET.
ISBN-13: 9780170131254   ISBN-10: 0170131254   (and it comes with a CD)
More Info at: web page: http://secondary.cengage.com.au/title/0170131254/633

Also Graeme Summers other Thomson book, "Programming with Visual Basic :
Introduction to Visual Basic.NET Third Edition" which also has a great CD
with it.
ISBN-13: 9780170104104   ISBN-10: 0170104109  Webpage:
http://www.newhouse.co.nz/default.aspx?et=1&ei=366&subSiteID=352&ibcClientID
=2570400&ibcClientToken=232815511726&bookID=12200&categoryID=2510

- Check out the free chapter PDFs on this at those websites to get an idea
of what the books are like.

Dianne Zak VB books from USA are also really good, but very expensive to buy
here.. and so I only have one of them.

Hope this helps,

Regards Paul Pascoe
IT Teacher