[Year 12 SofDev] programming language

Jack Matthews jack_m_matthews at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 23:03:57 EST 2007

Hi Andrew

They are both very different languages.

The similarities are that they are both object oriented programming languages and share much of the same syntax, however, in my opinion C# is much closer to JAVA compared with C++.  C++ is an older programming language whereas C# is fairly recent with some enhanced functions and libraries.  Both are good languages to teach and it really depends on your students, if they have programmed before they will probably want to learn C++ as they might have current knowledge or have heard about it on the internet.  If they have not programmed before I would use C# as the syntax is considerably neater than C++ and possibly easier for the students to learn.  I think your best bet is to put it to a vote then no one can complain to you.

Also - Make sure you can actually teach C# because when I wanted to teach it last year they told me that I was not allowed because it was not in the list of approved languages.

-jack