[Year 12 SofDev] Re: SD VITTA exam 2, multichoice #1

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Oct 18 13:29:31 EST 2007

Ah, but in an election year, the firewall would promise to immediately
block port 80, but after being elected will instead block port 20 over 4
years, and only in marginal electorates.

Kevork Krozian wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Your students are right.
>
>   Not a brilliant question as there are outgoing and incoming ports. A firewall can block incoming and outgoing ports and it is necessary to know which one is required to achieve required results.
> If a standard install has been used, to browse a web site you need a destination port of 80 to be accessible. To block an incoming port 80 will have no effect on a browser going out to a web site as it will only block incoming requests to an internal web site. When a client browser goes out to a web site the destination port is 80 but the source port is the next available port from 49152 to 65,535. Ports from 1024 to 49151 are registered ports. Ports 1 to 1023 are well known ports and have specific services.
>
>  If outgoing port 80 is blocked and nothing else has changed ( port on which http protocol is accessed ), then web traffic that uses the http protocol will stop.
> Other traffic that uses different ports such as at the end of the address eg. http://www.xyz.com.au:81 or ftp://ftp.xyz.com.au  or gopher://abc.xyz.com.au, if   supported by the browser in question or any other protocols will still work.
> So the answer should have been written as
>
>    B. Can use the browser but web based access of http:// protocol of the internet will stop.
>
>  (  This is Cisco CCNA Curriculum Semester 2 and also Semester 4 ) . In this time of election advertising, this is written and spoken by Cisco candidate K. Krozian CCNA Melbourne - no affiliation with either the ALP or Liberal parties .
>
> Regards
> Kevork

> HI all,
>
> three has there been some discussion in my class about question 6 in the multiple choice in sample exam 2. I have two students that are adamant that answer B is not entirely incorrect because they say you can still access the internet, web based mail &  FTP sites if port 80 is blocked.
>
> Regards
>
> Jim
>
> James Gibney
> ICT Coordinator
> St Helena Secondary College
> Wallowa Rd
> Eltham Nth 3095
> Ph 03 94388500
> Fax 03 94388555
> email: jgy at sthelena.vic.edu.au
> P Please consider the environment before printing this email

> I know it's pedantic but I'm going to write it anyway:
>
> Kevin wrote:
> All programs can be written using these very simple constructs.
> 1. Sequence
> 2. Repetition (aka iteration or Loops)
> 3. Conditional Branching
> 4. Combined Branching and Repetition
>
> Actually only three basic constructs are required to write any program: 1, 2 and 3.
> 4 is composed of two basic constructs (ie 2 and 3)
>
> And Frank wrote:
> [...]

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd, McKinnon 3204, Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000, Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

1. Education is an admirable thing, but remember that nothing that is
worth knowing can be taught - Oscar Wilde
2. I make trouble.  You want some?