[Year 12 SofDev] VITTA SD exam 2 case study

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Oct 16 15:18:34 EST 2007

Thanks, Fiona.  On the other hand, the Soil Wetness sensors would not
test current precipitation; they just report how wet the soil is, even
if the rain had stopped.

I'm guessing it has something to do with pesticide leaching through the
soil into aquifers, or rottweilers, or something like that  :-)

Fiona Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> You can't spray pesticide when it is raining - it washes off. Also, I wouldn't spray if the sprinklers were on for the same reason.
>
> Cheers
> Fiona

> Can anyone help me with the logic of the algorithm in the VITTA SD exam
> 2 case study?
>
> The criteria for needing to spray are: pesticide is needed, and wind is
> slight.  The Final decision before spraying, however, relates only to
> wind speed and soil wetness.
>
> The sample answer says the soil wetness reading is needed to ensure that
> "it's the right time to spray the pesticide".  Apparently it's not good
> to spray if the soil is too wet.
>
> Do any agricultural boffins out there know how soil wetness plays a part
> in being the "right time" to spray?
>
> It seems more of an Ag Science question than an SD question!
>
> Mark

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

You'll know when we are officially a civilised race: our schools have
all the money they need and the Air Force has to run a chook raffle to
buy a new bomber.