[Year 12 SofDev] Your homework!

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Sun Oct 14 21:48:00 EST 2007

Hi Adrian!  I agree that a challenging algorithm fault is good for the
kids.  It's just that the suggested answer was backwards :-)

Adrian Janson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My question - I am afraid!  And I will gladly put up my hand and say 'Yes it
> is a badly written algorithm - but I designed it to be so!!'
>
> I think the problem is really that I did too good a job in this regard and
> it is SO bad that is becomes a little unclear.
>
> Part of the reason that the question is not explained is that I feel
> students need to be able to logically evaluate the function (or intended
> function) of an algorithm without being explicitly told what it is meant to
> do.
>
> In this case, the user is first asked to enter to test marks.  The first
> test mark is checked to see if it is within the range 0-100.  If it is not,
> the user is asked to enter it again (note that this new entry is not
> likewise checked - which could be listed as one of the errors).  The second
> test mark is not checked at all (another error).  The total ranges do not
> take into account the value '100' exactly - another error.
>
> Algorithms are traditionally done extremely badly and I don't think
> questions like this are a great problem as they force students to really
> think logically and critically.
>
> Well - my 2c anyway!
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian

School Phone +613 8520 9000, Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

1. Education is an admirable thing, but remember that nothing that is
worth knowing can be taught - Oscar Wilde
2. I make trouble.  You want some?