[Year 12 SofDev] RAD instead of SDLC

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Mon May 21 10:35:23 EST 2007

U2O3 seems to fit nicely - kids use feedback from the client when
solving an info problem - just the thing for a RAD approach.

Kevork Krozian wrote:
> Hi Markl,
>
>  Actually it would work really well in Year 11 with any programming
> language with a GUI capability be it web based or stand alone.
> Quickly create the interface and the main functions requested/accepted
> by client and place some code behind these buttons/menu items.
> After this level of analysis/design/development(testing) go back to
> client for more design direction/approval and do more development and
> testing.
> Repeat this loop until customer sign off and then finalise
> implementation and evaluation.
>
> With less pressure in Year 11 this would lend itself nicely to a number
> of projects
> eg.
>    1) implement a late arrival system to allow students to swipe their
> ID/Library cards and print off a late pass(report/receipt)
>    2) A student canteen lunch ordering system
>
> I think the students would love this as it would more realistically
> mirror the way they do things ..
>
>  Just my thoughts ...
>

> Kevork Krozian
> IT Manager , Forest Hill College
> k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
> http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
> Mobile: 0419 356 034

> I've realised I've always forced my kids to follow the rigid SDLC
> stages
> in ITA, and now SD.
>
> I'd love to throw a task at them using a RAD / Agile approach.  It's a
>
> shame the study design is so fixated on following the SDLC.
>
> There's got to be a way to sneak RAD in somewhere... maybe year 11 IT
> U2O1.  Must check the study design...

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Mailing List

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.