[Year 12 SofDev] An algorithm puzzler for your kids (and you?)

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Mar 9 17:40:21 EST 2007

3 solutions for the price of one!

Just goes to show the many ways an algorithm can take shape.

Would be interesting to iterate each one a million times to compare
relative execution speeds...

Mark

Robert Hind wrote:
> But you could of course use the ROUNDUP function
>
> =(ROUNDUP(n*4,0)/4)
>
> Robert Hind (Semi-retired)
> Ex Traralgon and Ashwood
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Hind" <robert at yinnar.com>
> <sofdev at edulists.com.au>
> Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:07 PM
> Subject: Re: [Year 12 SofDev] An algorithm puzzler for your kids (and you?)
>

>> Like it!
>>
>> What a great way of rounding up to the nearest 0.25. Give the kid a
>> banana, no give her/him a whole bunch - after all they are down to
>> under $3 a kilo now!
>>
>> Robert Hind (Semi-retired)
>> Ex Traralgon and Ashwood
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Kelly"
>> <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au>
>> <sofdev at edulists.com.au>
>> Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 10:43 AM
>> Subject: Re: [Year 12 SofDev] An algorithm puzzler for your kids (and
>> you?)
>>

>>> A neat second method developed by one of my kids follows at the
>>> bottom...
>>>
>>> It's better than mine...  sometimes I hate kids!

>>> =(-INT(-n*4)/4)

>>> Authority and
>>> http://www.vitta.org.au  - VITTA Victorian Information Technology
>>> Teachers Association Inc

>> Authority and
>> http://www.vitta.org.au  - VITTA Victorian Information Technology
>> Teachers Association Inc

> Authority and
> Teachers Association Inc

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000 << new number!
School Fax   +613 9578 9253

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IPM Mailing List

Doctor - We must all face reality sooner or later.
Dowd   - I wrestled with reality for 35 years, doctor, and I'm happy to
say I won out over it.  ('Harvey', 1950)