[Year 12 SofDev] Feasibility

Allan Barnes abarnes at aiet.com.au
Wed Mar 7 17:10:37 EST 2007

You're right, it isn't spelt out literally, but I guess at a pinch you could
squeeze it in as an end result of:

Unit 3 Outcome 1
. the design phase of the SDLC, including identification of the components
(people, procedures,
data and equipment) that will enable the logical design specifications to be
implemented;

i.e. by asking the students why did you design it this way rather than that
way?;

or

Unit 4 Outcome 2
technical, human, procedural, economic and management factors influencing
the acquisition of
specific hardware and software components to fulfil design specifications;

Either way it doesn't explicitly mention feasibility factors but I guess
implicitly it could if you wanted it to.

I always found that students found this one a hard one as they didn't have a
good grasp of how systems can be different and how this might affect the
choice of which way to go - generally I used an example of a computer-based
system as opposed to a hand-written long-hand system to illustrate the
differences, but they struggled when it came to comparing two computer-based
systems, other than looking at the costs of the hardware and software
involved.

Kind regards

Allan Barnes, CEO
Australian Institute of Education and Training
Phone: (03) 9387 2051
FAX: (03) 9387 3470
E-mail: abarnes at aiet.com.au